Nevertheless, creating the timeline helped me identify some patterns that I suspect other change-oriented initiatives have experienced.
- Get passionate. Find something you truly care about.
- Create a circle. Invite others to join you. (Provide snacks)
- Combine learning and action. Study and discuss, but then get out there and DO. Reflect, incorporate the new learning and move on.
- Document. Take photos, make videos, save key documents and construct a common story.
- Persist. Stay alert to changing tides in the group and its surroundings, adapt as necessary, but keep going. Think journey, not destination.
So there you have my 5-step program for making history. Please note that I am not advocating an ego trip here. On the contrary, I am talking about putting your passion in the service of others and being curious about what happens next.